In Xfinity’s nostalgic, four-minute holiday ad that debuted on Thanksgiving, E.T. returns to Earth to reunite with Elliot and connect with Elliot’s kids. And while you may have noticed several props that harken back to the original film, we bet you didn’t get every single one. According to Xfinity, there are more than 30 Easter eggs sprinkled throughout the video.
Xfinity helped us out with 10 of them, and then we set out to find the rest. So far, here’s a list of the ones we’ve spotted:
- :11 – Elliott’s son is wearing a red hoodie like the one Elliott wore, hood up, for the iconic shot where he and E.T. flew in front of the moon.
- :15 – The Raggedy Ann doll looks just like the one that E.T. hid next to among the stuffed animals.
- :18 – The toy train on the floor harkens back to the scene in the movie when FBI agents peered into the house through the windows and a toy train was running along a track on the table.
- :41 – The bowler hat atop the snowman is just like the one that E.T. wore on top of a long blonde wig when he played dress up with Gertie.
- 1:15 – A framed photo of the family dog, Harvey, sits on the table.
- 1:19 – E.T. brings flowers back to life, just like he did with the geraniums in the movie.
- 1:21 – The book on the shelf below the countertop is titled “Spielberg.”
- 1:24 – The photo on the left shows Elliot’s childhood home, with his mom’s car in the driveway, and the black and white photo above Elliott’s son’s head is the headshot that Henry Thomas used when auditioning for E.T.
- 1:30 – The yellow cup with eyes was used by Gertie in the original film, and then there are—of course—the Reese’s Pieces on the table.
- 1:41 – The Nikes on the floor of the bedroom are the same design as the ones Elliott wore during E.T.’s first visit, and the typography poster on the wall has the same saying as one that was on the wall of Elliott’s childhood bedroom.
- 2:04 – Beneath the TV are two eggs: the Dungeons and Dragons game, which Elliott’s brother and his friends play in the movie, and another framed photo of Harvey.
- 2:20 – The drawing on the wall next to the light switch is the same one that Elliott was working on at school and had confiscated by his teacher.
- 3:29 – There are three things behind E.T. that made appearances in the movie: the shark pincher, the fishbowl and the globe.
- 2:44 – The rainbow blinds were also in Elliott’s bedroom.
- 2:47 – Elliott was a huge LEGO fan, and had elaborate LEGO spaceships, like the one on his son’s bedside table, as decor.
- 2:54 – The backyard shed is full of eggs: the license plate on the wall is the one from Elliott’s mom’s car, the bike is the same Kuwahara that E.T. and Elliott used to fly and the communicator is tucked away in the corner.
- 4:10 – There’s a photo on the fridge from Halloween when E.T. dressed as a ghost.
Find some that we missed? Tweet me @klundster!