The world’s many Blackberry smartphone devotees can now get a better Facebook app experience. Built by device-maker Research In Motion, Facebook for Blackberry includes a new interface for the news feed home page and feed filters, as well as faster loading. It is already one of the most popular Facebook mobile apps, having grown to 10.1 million monthly active users as of today.
But its big competitor, Apple’s iPhone, has an even more popular app, built by Facebook; and, the 3.0 version, released a couple months ago, has helped fuel a lot of recent growth. In fact, it has been pretty consistently ranking as one of the top 20 growing apps on all of Facebook, according to AppData. While Blackberry has been inching up, the iPhone app grew by 481,000 last week to reach 15.7 million monthly actives.
Perhaps this new version of the Blackberry app will give it a similar boost? Here’s what Blackberry users can now get if they download the new, 1.7 version, via CrackBerry:
- News Feed Support – The ability to set the News Feed as the home page
- News Feed Filters – The ability to toggle between News Feed, Status Updates, Photos & Links
- Caching Improvements – The application uses the device memory more efficiently.
- Feed Pre-fetching – Users will not be required to wait while their Facebook Feeds are updated
- View Profile Menu Option – Clients may easily view their own profile by selecting ‘View my Profile’ from the menu.
You can find the app on RIM’s App World app store, on Facebook, or you can have your phone automatically access it by going to m.facebook.com from your mobile browser. Facebook’s mobile app downloader will recognize your device and ask if you want to make the download.