Celtra analyzed 32 mobile rich-media campaigns that used the same or “highly comparable” creative via both outlets, and it found that social rich-media ads boasted:
- An ad engagement rate four times higher.
- An ad journey-completion rate 16 times higher.
- Double the ad-engagement time.
- Three times higher video play rate.
- A social media share rate four times higher.
Meanwhile, standard rich media ads had:
- Five times higher engagement with location-based features.
- A slightly higher engagement rate with galleries and presentation features.
Celtra Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer Matevz Klanjsek said:
When it comes to engagement with mobile rich-media ads, social media networks definitely have the upper hand. This is largely due to the native nature of their advertising products, where ad experiences organically become a part of the conversation.
However, that doesn’t mean that social media is necessarily always a better place for mobile advertising. Certain ad experiences, such as the ones using location-based features, will still perform better as standard rich-media ads. This study shows above all the power of native mobile ad experiences and the value they can deliver for advertisers.