Pinterest shared some insights on how the coronavirus pandemic skewed search results on its platform.
The company said more people than ever are turning to Pinterest for wellbeing and self-care, pointing to gains from February through May in searches for gratitude (60%), meditation (44%) and positivity (42%).
Pinterest also saw optimism for the future among Pinners, as evidenced by increases in searches for family goals future (30%), future house goals (78%), life bucket list (65%) and starting a new business (35%).
Saying that Pinners were 20% more likely than the rest of the population to think of mental and emotional wellbeing during the pandemic. Pinterest updated its compassionate search feature with helpful information from those experiencing stress due to Covid-19.
Those tools can also now be accessed by typing #pinterestselfcare in search.
Rising searches related to health and wellness on Pinterest included:
- Exercise routine at home (12 times)
- Gratitude journal prompts (eight times)
- Mindfulness activities for kids (three times)
- Kids workout routine (73%)
- Productive morning routine (six times)
- Self-care night routine (seven times)
- Stress-relief activities (4.7 times)
Pinterest wrote in a blog post, “After being at home for months—sometimes in small apartments without outdoor spaces—it’s no surprise that gardens and outdoor areas, however limited in space, have become the heart of the home. This is a continuation of the ‘Home Hub’ theme we identified in this year’s Pinterest 100 2020 report. In addition to statistics that show increased searches for new homes with gardens and in the countryside, Pinners are also improving their current spaces.”
On that note, home-related searches on the upswing included:
- Basement game room ideas (five times)
- Boys game room (13 times)
- Gamer girl room (nine times)
- Kitchen family rooms (14 times)
- Modern kids playroom (four times)
And searches related to outdoor spaces that surged included:
- Backyard oasis on a budget (five times)
- Backyard privacy ideas on a budget (75%)
- Bohemian garden party (seven times)
- Do-it-yourself garden fountains (42 times)
- Do-it-yourself patio ideas on a budget (17 times)
- Garden bar ideas (six times)
- Garden dinner party (36%)
- Outdoor spaces on a budget (three times)
Pinterest wrote, “We’ll continue listening to Pinners about how we can make Pinterest a positive place and provide resources and ideas that can help manage through the new issues we’re all navigating.”