Software engineer Yi Xiao said in a blog post that these messaging tags are used to respond to customer actions and send messages in specific use cases that fall outside the 24-hour window, and he detailed the five new tags:
- Appointment update: The APPOINTMENT_UPDATE tag may only be used to provide updates about an existing appointment. For example, when there is a change in time, a location update or a cancellation (such as when a spa treatment is canceled, a real estate agent needs to meet you at a new location or a dental office proposes a new appointment time).
- Game event: The GAME_EVENT tag may only be used to provide an update on user progression, a global event in a game or a live sporting event. For example, when a person’s crops are ready to be collected, their building is finished, their daily tournament is about to start or their favorite soccer team is about to play.
- Transportation update: The TRANSPORTATION_UPDATE tag may only be used to confirm updates to an existing reservation. For example, when there is a change in status of any flight, train or ferry reservation (such as “ride canceled,” “trip started” or “ferry arrived”).
- Feature functionality update: The FEATURE_FUNCTIONALITY_UPDATE tag may only be used to provide an update on new features or functionality that become available in a bot. For example, announcing the ability to talk to a live agent in a bot, or that the bot has a new skill.
- Ticket update: The TICKET_UPDATE tag may only be used to provide updates pertaining to an event for which a person already has a ticket. For example, when there is a change in time, a location update or a cancellation (such as when a concert is canceled, the venue has changed or a refund opportunity is available).
The five new messaging tags join the three that were introduced in April:
- Shipping update: Shipping_update should be used to provide a shipping status notification for a product that’s already been purchased by the customer (examples: product shipped, in-transit, delivered, delayed). Note: This can’t be used for promotional content (examples: daily deals, coupons and discount or sale announcements).
- Reservation update: Reservation_update should be used to provide a confirmation for an existing or modified reservation booked by the customer (examples: hotel booking canceled, car rental pick-up time changed, room upgrade confirmed). Note: This can’t be used for promotional content (examples: daily deals, coupons and discount or sale announcements).
- Issue resolution: Issue_resolution should be used to respond to an issue surfaced by the customer in the Messenger conversation. This is intended for use cases where the business requires more than 24 hours to resolve a customer service issue and needs to provide someone with a status update and/or gather additional information. Note: This can’t be used for promotional content (examples: daily deals, coupons and discount or sale announcements). Businesses can’t use the tag to proactively message customers to solicit feedback.