The YouTube Works awards honor the most effective U.S. ad campaigns on the Google-owned video site, and data and insight consultancy Kantar oversees methodology and judging.
The 2020 winners are:
- Grand Prix and Creative Innovation: Beat Machine, Bacardi, BBDO New York
- Media Innovation: Samsung Galaxy Note10: The Next-Level Hijack, Samsung, R/GA, Starcom, Digitas
- Force for Good: Gillette: We Believe, Procter & Gamble, Grey New York
- Ingenious Insight: Hulu Sellouts, Hulu, Big Family Table
- Brands as Creators: Apple Experiments, Apple, TBWA\Media Arts Lab, OMD
- Action Driver: Back to School Essentials, Sandy Hook Promise, BBDO New York
- The David: Giving Songs, Giving Tuesday Puerto Rico, De La Cruz & Asociados
Kantar shared the following learnings from this year’s winners:
- Custom content works: 74% of finalists created custom content for YouTube’s platform.
- Insights are key: 53% of finalists showcased strong existing insights to inform development of their campaigns.
- Variety of YouTube ad products can support storytelling: 84% of finalists used multiple features and/or features that are unique to YouTube, while 47% used the platform for broad strategic storytelling. Emotion was a hallmark in 83% of finalists.
- YouTube creates conversations at scale: 58% of finalists and six of the seven winners used YouTube’s reach to find vast audiences.
- Exploring new territories and changing the strategy should be a part of successful campaigns: 53% of finalists used the platform for a change in strategy.
This year’s judges were:
- Raig Adolfo, chief strategy officer, 360i
- Steve Carbone, chief digital and investment officer, MediaCom
- Christine Chen, partner and head of communications strategy, Goodby Silverstein & Partners
- Renato Fernandez, chief creative officer, TBWA\Chiat\Day Los Angeles
- Connie Frazier, chief operating officer, American Advertising Foundation
- Sheryl Goldstein, senior vice president, member engagement and development, IAB
- Chris Joakim, executive creative director, R/GA
- Helen Lin, chief digital officer, Publicis
- Mary Ann Packo, CEO, Western region, Kantar
- Amanda Richman, U.S. CEO, Wavemaker
- Jeff Stamp, CCO, Grey
- Stacey Stewart, executive vp and managing partner, UM