Facebook pages are one of the most important social assets for a business and Facebook understands its value. Hence, they have been working on enhancing the experience between fans and brands by bridging the gap between their fan page and their digital assets.
Facebook had announced a call to action button for Facebook pages on December 11, however, this feature was only rolled out in the U.S. market.
Since I manage and admin some businesses bred in UAE and GCC, I got a notification on February 16 to implement this feature. So I’m assuming this button has been rolled out as an option in UAE, probably available globally now.
What is it?
The Call to Action (CTA) button is designed to bring a business’ most important objective to the forefront of its Facebook presence. Call to action buttons link to any destination on or off Facebook that aligns with a business’s goals.
The seven calls to action currently available are:
- Book Now
- Contact Us
- Use App
- Play Game
- Shop Now
- Sign Up
- Watch Video
Is this good, bad or should I just ignore?
If you are a page admin, I’m sure you must have noticed a decline in organic reach on your Facebook posts. To boost reach and increase fan base, brands and businesses invest in social ads and social apps to drive traffic to their social pages and engage with fans. Most brands also invest in Facebook stores to ensure a seamless experience for their audience. However, this was a very much disconnected approach as there was no solid link between the brand/business digital assets and most social apps are not accessible from mobile. Moreover, functions such as Sign up, Watch Video, Play game, Use App are hidden under the “more” tab unless re-positioned.
Now, thanks to this button, brands/businesses can redirect audiences post their visit to the social page on both mobile and desktop, to their digital assets without the need of including hyperlinks in every post and creating social apps/tabs!
My opinion – It is a simple and very effective add on. We as advertisers urge creatives to include a strong call to actions for tactical campaigns, as they do make a difference! Past campaigns done for some of my clients at BPG Maxus, we A/B test creatives (Creative with and without call to actions) and the creative with a call to action always surfaces as the winner!
Hence, a great add-on!
How does it benefit a business?
Brands can start implementing one of the CTA buttons to fulfill set objectives. Each call to action plays an important role and should be used wisely to ensure this does not hamper the user journey and is somehow connected with the communication of the social page.
For starters, I have defined the roles of the call to action buttons. However, the usage may vary based on campaign objectives.
- Book Now – Can be used by clinics, hotels, restaurants etc. to book appointments.
- Contact Us – Pretty straight forward, to share your business/brand contact details. Be sure to link this button directly to your website’s contact page.
- Use App – Incase you are a mobile app page or have a mobile app, to drive users to download your app.
- Play Game – This feature is a breakthrough for the gaming business, can possibly give users a chance to experience game demos or play the game online.
- Shop Now – This button can be used to drive fans to your ecommerce website. Doesn’t this sound like music some?
- Sign Up – Want to build a database of email subscribers? The best button to fit the role.
- Watch Video – To drive eye balls to the Brand/Business Corporate Video. I recommend uploading the video on Facebook and not YouTube. Why? Read my previous article on Facebook Video Views.
As per Facebook, the new add-on has helped Dollar Shave Club, boost its customer acquisition efforts.
Over the course of a three-week test, the Sign Up call-to-action button delivered a 2.5x higher conversion rate versus other comparable social placements aimed to drive new user acquisition. — Brian Kim, Director of Acquisition, Dollar Shave Club.
How to implement the CTA button?
To add a CTA button to your Facebook page, follow the below steps –
- Visit your Page and click the “Create Call-to-Action” button.
- Select the most appropriate call-to-action and enter the URL you want your fans to visit. Click the “Next” button. (You can add UTM links incase you want to track the performance, however, facebook will give you stats on clicks.) Note: If the mobile website field is left blank, subscribers would not be able to see the CTA button on a mobile device.
- If you’re driving iOS users to a website, select “website”. If you’re driving iOS users to an app, select “app”. Follow the same instructions on the next screen for Android.
- Click Create – Et Voilà!
It’s important to remember that just adding the CTA button to your Facebook page will not increase traffic to your website. I highly recommend prompting users to click on the CTA button with the help of a cover photo as shown below.
Go ahead and get creative with those cover photos & CTA buttons and see what works best for your brand/business!