Featured Doers, presented by HP, will allow HuffPost readers to narrow a list of 15 nominees down to five finalists, who will then be interviewed for a video package for the site. HuffPost will draw readers to Featured Doers via social media and widgets on the site, and they can review nominees’ biographies, submit questions, and vote on questions other readers have submitted. The five nominees who receive the most questions will advance.
The nominees are:
• Charles Best, founder of DonorsChoose, a New York-based nonprofit organization that allows people to contribute to public school projects
• James Cameron, producer, screenwriter and director
• United States Secretary of Energy Steven Chu
• Karl Fisch, teacher, technology-education specialist, and blogger
• Thomas Friedman, columnist for The New York Times and Pulitzer Prize-winning author;
• Ashton Kutcher, film and television actor and producer
• Ellen S. Miller, co-founder and executive director of the Sunlight Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to using the Internet to propel government transparency
• Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors and founder of Space X
• Chef, restaurateur, author, and media personality Jamie Oliver
• Dr. Jay Parkinson, pediatrician and preventive-medicine specialist
• Macon Phillips, White House director of new media
• Chloe Sladden, director of media partnerships at Twitter
• Rachel Sterne, founder of user-contributed news site Ground Report
• Baratunde Thurston, comedian, author, and pundit, as well as subject of a recent Media Beat profile
• Miami Heat basketball player Dwyane Wade
HuffPost senior editor Jose Antonio Vargas said:
We are pleased to partner with the HuffPost community to recognize and celebrate a diverse group of individuals who share one quality: pioneering excellence in their field. By highlighting an impressive collection of “amazing” people, The HuffPost Spotlight Series aims not only to honor accomplishment, but also to inspire us all. One-on-one interviews with the finalists are an ideal way for us to launch our original video series. And we’re excited to collaborate on the initiative with HP, a company with its own history of excellence and innovation.
And HP vice president of digital strategy Chris Curtin added:
Technology is changing the way people interact with news and information, and by collaborating with The Huffington Post on “Featured Doers,” we’ve helped to create a great example of what’s possible in new media. Using crowd-sourcing to shape editorial content is an innovative approach that will help keep media organizations in touch with today’s readers.