Pinterest said users are now conducting more than 600 million visual searches every month, up 140 percent year-over-year, and the number of people using Lens has doubled over the past six months.
During the past year, Pinterest has made improvements to Lens, including:
- Announcing last March that Lens would power image search in the Bixby intelligent interface for Samsung’s then-new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones.
- Launching Android shortcuts to Lens, Search, Explore and Saved last April (iOS followed last September).
- Announcing last May that ads using visual discovery technology would begin to appear in Related Pins and Instant Ideas immediately, with Shop the Look and Lens to follow.
- Revealing a new interface, additional camera features, the ability to access existing images and the addition of Instant Ideas to its results last June.
- Giving Lens and Search more prominent real estate in its mobile applications last July.
- Retail giant Target announced last September that it would begin incorporating Pinterest Lens directly into its apps and experiences as part of a multiyear, multimillion-dollar advertising partnership between the two companies.
- Introducing Lens Your Look last November, which allowed users to combine text searches on Pinterest with photos of items they already owned to see styles that work with those items.
- Introducing Pincodes, its take on QR codes, also last November.
Pinterest marked the anniversary of Lens’ debut by sharing these two lists:
Top categories for Lens searches:
- Home decor
Top trending Lens searches:
- Wedding dress
- Natural hair