Pinterest small and midsized business marketing lead Lisa Fong shared five steps that the 1.5 million-plus brands on its platform should go through in order to grow the success of their ad campaigns aimed at some of its more than 250 million monthly users.
Fong wrote in a blog post:
- Expand your targeting to reach more people: Reach more Pinners who may be looking for similar brands by expanding the set of keywords or interests being targeted, or try audience targeting in Ads Manager to use options including actalike targeting, customer list targeting and engagement targeting. Fong wrote, “For instance, if the interest ‘healthy eater’ is performing well, consider adding other relevant keyword terms like ‘yoga’ and ‘working out’ or other related interest targeting. Just be mindful that any new targeting you apply is applicable to all ads in a specific ad group. An ad featuring imagery related to workout tips for women might feel misplaced if it was shown to men.”
- Increase your budget: Check your targeting and campaign setup to see who your ads are reaching, and adjust your budget accordingly to make sure that you’re reaching everyone who may be interested in your brand. According to Fong, advertisers can significantly scale their campaigns on Pinterest, without affecting return on investment, by increasing their Pinterest spend to 5 percent of their total marketing budget.
- Give different Pinterest ad products a try: Test out different ad products and features. Fong wrote, “If you’re seeing success with the Pinterest ads you’re already running, test out different Pinterest ad products and features to accelerate your success. Looking to stand out from the crowd? Try Promoted App Pins or Promoted Video Ads. Or expand your targeting to reach people resembling your best customers using audience targeting.”
- Take advantage of key seasonal moments on Pinterest: Download our possibilities planner to learn when people start searching for holiday ideas on Pinterest and how to reach them.
- Rinse and repeat: Fong wrote, “Remember that scaling your ad campaigns is a process, so be sure to check in on your metrics regularly and iterate on your strategy. Go forth and promote—you’ve got this.”