The various types of sponsored stories offered by Facebook require more financial investment on the part of advertisers, but also deliver far better results, according to the findings of a new report by Salesforce.com, released Tuesday.
Salesforce.com analyzed the following types of Facebook ads, drawing its data from more than 1 million ad units from Jan. 1 through March 31, with more than 114 billion impressions:
- Inline likes
- Application ads
- Page post ads
- Mobile app install ads
- Page like sponsored stories
- App action sponsored stories
- Page post action sponsored stories
- Page post like sponsored stories
- Check-in sponsored stories
Findings by Salesforce.com included:
- Click-through rates were well above average for several types of sponsored stories, including check-in stories and page post like stories.
- App ads, click ads, event RSVPs, and inline likes generated low CTRs but were all inexpensive in terms of cost per impression.
- Mobile app install ads delivered above-average cost per click and CPI.
- Sponsored app action stories cost 25 percent more per app install when compared with their nonsponsored counterparts but drove app installs at a rate 5.7 times higher.
- Sponsored page like stories cost 43 percent more per like than their nonsponsored counterparts but were 13.7 times more successful at delivering page likes.
The report also included information such as metrics broken down by industry and by country.