Facebook reported its fourth-quarter and full-year-2016 financial results after market close Wednesday. Here are some of the statistics and milestones that were highlighted.
- Facebook reported 1.86 billion monthly active users as of year-end 2016, with 1.74 billion of those via mobile and 1.149 billion accessing the social network solely via mobile devices.
- Its daily active user total was 1.227 billion, with 1.146 billion of those via mobile.
- Instagram now has more than 600 million MAUs and more than 400 million DAUs, and Instagram Stories topped 150 million DAUs in just five months.
- 400 million Facebook Messenger users now use voice and video chat on the application each month.
- Fellow messaging app WhatsApp recently surpassed 1.2 billion MAUs, and more than 50 billion messages are sent via WhatsApp each day.
- More than 4 million brands are advertising via Facebook, and Instagram’s advertiser total topped 500,000.
- 65 million businesses are using Facebook pages, and there are now more than 5 million business profiles on Instagram.
- The average price per Facebook ad rose 3 percent during the fourth quarter of 2016, while the total number of ad impressions served during the period climbed 49 percent, driven primarily by mobile on Facebook and Instagram.
- The company ended 2016 with some 17,000 employees, up 34 percent from its year-end-2015 total.