High-school proms across the country are being scuttled by the coronavirus pandemic, and TikTok is trying to make up for the loss with Prom Week next week.
The weeklong event, daily at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET starting Tuesday (April 21), will feature in-application hashtag challenged and livestream events with creators, celebrities and surprise live musical performances.
TikTok is also rolling out two creative effects to help viewers get in the prom spirit. Actor John Krasinki demonstrated the Prom Portrait background here.
The Prom Week schedule follows:
- Tuesday, April 21, #PromDIY: Creator Sarah Hambley will help viewers create do-it-yourself prom looks worth remembering.
- Wednesday, April 22, #PromLook: Surprise creators will share beauty and fashion tips.
- Thursday, April 23, #PromPortrait: Bryant Eslava and Bonnie Rodriguez will demonstrate how to use TikTok’s new creative effect to create the best awkward Prom Portrait.
- Friday, April 24, #PromPlaylist: A surprise celebrity guest leads a dance tutorial.
- Saturday, April 25, #TikTokProm: Diplo will host a live DJ set, along with Dillon Francis and other surprise musical guest performances. Attendees can engage with DJs during performances and request specific songs.