Memorial Day marked the unofficial start of summer, and Pinterest is bringing the heat with its summer trends for marketers.
Pinterest said it anticipates Pinners spending 10 percent more on summer than non-Pinners, with 67 percent of the former believing that content from brands provides inspiration that is tailored to their needs.
In addition, 68 percent of Pinners are planning barbecue or grill meals this summer, versus 54 percent of non-Pinners.
Pinterest’s summer trends follow, by category:
Food and beverage
- Traditional barbecue foods are taking a beating, as strawberry desserts are four times more popular than burger recipes this season, and chicken is favored over hotdogs.
- White wine slushies are up 3,037 percent year over year, and pepper cocktails are up 347 percent.
- Those without backyards aren’t being left out, as picnics in a jar are up 346 percent compared with last summer, and reusable utensils are up 221 percent over the same time period.
- Traditional condiments didn’t fare so well, either, as ketchup and mustard paled in comparison to salsa, jalapeños and Sriracha.
- Top desserts were mason jar desserts, homemade marshmallow fluff, strawberry cheesecake bites, milkshakes and ice cream pie.
- Popular beverages included watermelon lemonade, pineapple vodka, scotch and home-brewed beer.
- Other foods that showed growth included fried shrimp, sausage rolls and food for camping parties.
- Pinners’ yards are getting fancier, with edible table runners up 125 percent compared with January and water bar stations up 171 percent year over year.
- Stargazing parties are up 192 percent year over year and beer garden parties soared 638 percent over the past 12 months.
- Patio parties are up 123 percent compared with the summer of 2017, and nature getaways are up 337 percent.
- Other topics trending in Pinterest searches include Japanese garden design, tropical pools and homes for sale.
Beauty and fashion
- Fourth of July nails are trending, and Pinterest said activity for this term peaks during the first few days of July, with 3.6 million searches last year.
- Long weekends are up 167 percent year over year.
- One out of every 10 searches for bags during the summer are for weekender bags.
- Festival fashion is trending, as well, including jewelry bracelets, bikini outfits and urban fashion styles.
Pinterest said in a blog post introducing its summer trends: “People turn to Pinterest to get the most mileage out of their longer summer days, searching for ideas on vacation getaways, outdoor entertaining and outfits to beat the heat. Pinners are a key audience for advertisers, as well, and they’re willing to spend what it takes to make summer fun, with an anticipated spend for summer 2018 of 10 percent more than non-Pinners. July 4 marks the peak of summer-related searches, and Pinners are currently saving ideas to more than 13 million boards as they gear up for the holiday.”
The company added, “Brands can get in on the action by sharing ideas about what to cook, what to wear and where to go. People on Pinterest are looking for the step-by-step on how to make these ideas a reality, and when it comes to summer planning, 67 percent of Pinners think content from brands provides inspiration tailored to their needs.”