Email volume for the first quarter of 2011 is up 21.4 percent over the same period last year, according to data from the Email Campaign Archive (ECA) database. The increased volume represents a continuation of a trend in recent months.
March promotional email volume was 18.8 percent higher in the first quarter of this year versus the same quarter in 2010, with 18,265 email promotions recorded in the ECA compared to 15,374 last year. The ECA is powered by the Who’s Mailing What Archive, a Target Marketing Group (TMG) product. (All About eMail is published by TMG.)
Other items to note about March email promotions archived include the following:
1. The average word count in March was 380, down 5.5 percent from March 2010. This is a continuation of a trend towards shorter email messages.
2. Thursday was the most popular day to send email promotions in March (19.4 percent of the total), followed by Tuesday (18.7 percent), Wednesday (17.8 percent), Friday (15.9 percent) and Monday (15.9 percent), Sunday (6.4 percent), and Saturday (5.9 percent).
3. Between 8 a.m. to noon EST was the most popular time for sending promotional email in March (35 percent of the total), followed by noon to 4 p.m. (25.5 percent) and 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. (16.5 percent). The one-hour window that saw the heaviest volume of email sent in March was between 10 a.m. and 10:59 a.m. (10.5 percent of all email sent).
4. The most repeated subject lines in March were:
- 25% Off Your Order, 30% Off Your Online Order
- 35% savings with the online catalog, plus new Spring decor
- As Seen on The Doctors: Travis Stork, M.D. shows you how to eat, drink, and be skinny!
- Exclusive Offer: 11 issues for only $11
- Free Shipping — Only 2 Days Left!
- New OUTLET Arrivals, up to 80% off!
- Refresh Your Room in Shades of Green and Enjoy FREE SHIPPING from Schweitzer Linen
- Run Off 10, 20, 30 Pounds or More the Healthy Way — Beginners Welcome!
- Subscribe to Men’s Health for only $10!
- Welcome To Spiegel! Take An Extra 30% OFF!
- TODAY ONLY! Take An Extra 30% OFF!
- What size do you want to be?
- You’re Entitled to 2 Risk Free Trial Issues!
More analysis of email trends is available in All About eMail Creative.
Gary Hennerberg is a consultant and copywriter, and has extensively analyzed email data from the Email Campaign Archive. Gary can be reached at hennerberg.com.
Reinventing Direct is for the direct marketer seeking guidance in the evolving world of online marketing. Gary Hennerberg is a mind code marketing strategist, based on the template from his new book, 'Crack the Customer Mind Code.' He is recognized as a leading direct marketing consultant and copywriter. He weaves in how to identify a unique selling proposition to position, or reposition, products and services using online and offline marketing approaches, and copywriting sales techniques. He is sought-after for his integration of direct mail, catalogs, email marketing, websites, content marketing, search marketing, retargeting and more. His identification of USPs and copywriting for clients has resulted in sales increases of 15 percent, 35 percent, and even as high as 60 percent. Today he integrates both online and offline media strategies, and proven copywriting techniques, to get clients results. Email him or follow Gary on LinkedIn. Co-authoring this blog is Perry Alexander of ACM Initiatives. Follow Perry on LinkedIn.