The Americans capped off its gripping final season by winning three Television Critics Association (TCA) Awards on Saturday night. At the ceremony in Los Angeles, FX’s critically acclaimed drama, which is nominated for four Emmys, was honored as program of the year—the evening’s top award—and for outstanding achievement in drama, while star Keri Russell was awarded for individual achievement in drama.
A pair of breakout freshman series also received 2018 TCA Awards: BBC America’s Killing Eve was named outstanding new program, while Rachel Brosnahan, who stars in Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, was honored for individual achievement in comedy.
The TCA Awards, which honor the top TV shows and actors of the past season, frequently recognize programs and stars overlooked by Emmy voters, including The Good Place, which won for outstanding achievement in comedy but did not receive an Emmy nomination for that category, in one of this year’s most outrageous omissions.
Anthony Bourdain, who died tragically in June, was posthumously honored for his CNN series Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, which won outstanding achievement in news and information.
This year’s TCA Awards includes a new category: outstanding achievement in sketch/variety shows. That inaugural award went to Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.
The Americans, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Killing Eve and several other of the evening’s TCA Awards winners will also be competing for Emmys next month. That list includes The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (outstanding achievement in movies and miniseries) and Queer Eye (outstanding achievement in reality programming).
Each year, the TCA also recognizes a classic TV series with its a heritage award, which is its version of a lifetime achievement award for TV shows. This year’s award went to Friends, which ran on NBC from 1994-2004. Actress Rita Moreno, who has appeared in TV shows like The Electric Company, Oz, The Rockford Files and the current Netflix sitcom One Day at a Time, won this year’s career achievement award.
Robin Thede, host of the recent BET series The Rundown With Robin Thede, emceed the ceremony for the 34th annual TCA Awards, which are voted on by the more than 200 critics and journalists (including this writer) from the U.S. and Canada who make up the Television Critics Association.
The event at L.A.’s Beverly Hilton hotel isn’t televised and doesn’t have a red carpet, which leads to a more laid-back atmosphere than most TV awards shows.
The complete list of 2018 TCA Award winners:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Keri Russell (The Americans, FX)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Amazon)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: Anothony Bourdian: Parts Unknown (CNN)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: Queer Eye (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: Sesame Street (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Sketch/Variety Shows: Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (HBO)
- Outstanding New Program: Killing Eve (BBC America)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies and Miniseries: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: The Americans (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: The Good Place (NBC)
- Career Achievement Award: Rita Moreno
- Heritage Award: Friends (NBC)
- Program of the Year: The Americans (FX)